- "Although most people don’t realize how incredibly complicated and ill-documented it can get, under the Old Town. Old sewers. Abandoned utility tunnels. Freight access. Built-over foundations. A couple of outdated, bankrupted attempts at public transport, before the bubble-tube system was planned or even thought of. Streambeds, drainage. Assorted Vor mansions’ personal bolt-holes and escape hatches—and the same for some less savory prole venues. And a rat warren of other covert passages dating back mostly to the Occupation, but some to other wars. Several centuries of forgotten secrets, down there, dying with their possessors."
- ―Simon Illyan describes the Old Town[src]
The Old Town in Vorbarr Sultana was a region in the central part of the city, with the Old Walls going around it. It had buildings that dated to the first century of the Time of Isolation, made of stucco instead of brick. Even in newer days, a good number of people from Old Town were poorer and significantly backwards.
The cleaned-up areas around the Great Square became a popular shopping area for wealthy patrons.
Locations in and near the Old TownEdit
- Vorkosigan House (south of the city's river)
- ImpSec HQ (south of the river, four kilometers from Vorkosigan House)
- The Great Square (south of the river)
- The Caravanserai (southern area).
- Imperial Military Hospital (north of the river)
- The Imperial University district was just outside