- "London was so filled up, a cramped jigsaw of juxtaposed eras, with Londoners stubbornly hanging on to bits of their past; there was even a committee to save the singularly ugly disintegrating remnants of the late twentieth century."
- ―London as seen by Miles Vorkosigan[src]
London was a city on Earth located in the same place that London is located in Real Life.
It was a space-port city with a population of several million, and was protected from the sea by a collection of dikes and locks called the Thames Tidal Barrier. The city was ruled by the "Lord Mayor of London," and most of the galactic embassies on Earth were located in various parts of London.
Architecturally it was a tremendous mish-mash of time periods covering nearly two millenia:
- A very old section of town had restored 22nd century buildings, including a wineshop that a group of Dendarii mercenaries holed up in for a time.
- A building boom in the 23rd century domed half the city and sent the Thames river underground.
- The London Municipal Assizes was two centuries old.
- Some time before two centuries before Miles Vorkosigan there had been bombings and fires associated with the Fifth Civil Disturbance.