The Interstellar Judiciary Commission was an interplanetary judicial body concerned with the treatment of prisoners of war, among other issues. They seemed to function rather like the World Court or United Nations that used to exist on Earth.
Barrayar may have been a signatory, as the IJC made a great deal of headache for Admiral Aral Vorkosigan after the Barrayaran-Escobaran War. The Cetagandan Empire was a signatory. The rules for treatment of prisoners included:
- Some number of square meters per person.
- No prisoner to be solitarily confined for a period exceeding twenty-four hours.
- No dark periods longer than twelve hours.
- No beatings, rapes, or forced labor.
- Access to medical personal was required.
- 3000 calories of food per person per day; at least 50 grams of protein.
- Two liters of drinking water per person per day.
- Accurate lists of prisoners taken had to be provided.