- "Ivan had looked forward to escorting Tej on her first trip to the Imperial Residence, but not under these circumstances. She stared up apprehensively at the sprawling pile, a great irregular rectangle of four-to-six-story-high wings with odd inner links, in style a bit like Vorkosigan House bloated by a factor of four but with modern additions dating back to one post-war rebuild or another. The East Portico was one of the older, more ornate and impressive entrances."
- ―Tej sees the Imperial Residence[src]
The North Wing was the most modern part of the structure, due to having been burned down during Vordarian's Pretendership. The East Wing was the oldest, with wrought-iron gates and worn granite steps. Its facade had a lot of stone carving.
Rooms and gardens and such included:
- "The Green Room" with hanging silks.
- Glass Hall, from when glass was much more expensive to make.
- Lesser Dining Hall, a ballroom was downstairs from this hall.
- South Garden
- North Gardens, designed by Ezar
- Blue Room, used by Ezar for public pronouncements.
- Red Room, adjacent to a ballroom with a marquetry floor.