House Cordonah was one of the Major Houses in the Jackson's Whole system. Cordonah Station controlled one of the five jump points into and out of Jacksonian local space; this wormhole served as a useful route to Earth.
House Cordonah figured prominently in the events of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. They provided intelligence to various Nexus governments and took part in hostage negotiation activities; they had a reputation for being good at both jobs.
- "Arqua and his wife were pretty even-handed in their dealings. Arqua got out of the hijacking business and into the middleman, ah, recovery business quite awhile back. House Cordonah had the best record for getting hostages back alive of any of the Houses that dabble in that commerce. Reliable, in their own special way. They were just as happy to sell Barrayaran information to Cetaganda as Cetagandan information to ImpSec, but if the data the Cetas received was as solid as was what we did, they should have been satisfied customers. And the Cordonahs were willing to return favors, both above and below the table."
- ―Captain Morozov, ImpSec-Galactic Affairs expert for Jackson's Whole, on the role played by House Cordonah[src]
Tej also stated that her parents and Baron Fell found each other useful, although there was never any question of an alliance or a permanent merger.
Known members of House CordonahEdit
- Baron Shiv Arqua
- Baronne Udine ghem Estif Arqua
- Even children of the Baron and Baronne (mildly genetically engineered from the DNA of both parents):
- Odd children of the Baronne (except for the Y chromosome in Jet), the more heavily gengineered Jewels, who served as professional dancers and as human sculpture, among other things:
- Udine's widowed mother Lady Moira ghem Estif (originally haut, from the Rond Constellation), known to the children as Grandmama, was not technically a part of the House but sometimes participated in House projects and was instrumental in restoring the House's fortunes after their station had been taken over by Prestene.
Other people associated with House CordonahEdit
- Seppe - a courier who aided Tej and Rish in their escape from House Prestene, but was killed on Fell Station.
The names of the even children were taken from a book titled Ten Thousand Authentic Ethnic Baby Names From Old Earth, Their Meanings and Geographical Origins.