- "About two hundred years ago—about the time hermaphrodites were being invented," a peculiar wryness flashed across Thorne's face, "there was this rush of genetic experimentation on humans, in the wake of the development of the practical uterine replicator. Followed shortly by a rush of laws restricting such."
- ―Bel Thorne on the history of gengineering[src]
Genetic engineering, also called gengineering for short, the science of modifying the genetic code, was highly advanced in the Vorkosigan Saga. The engineering of humans was particularly sped up by the invention of the uterine replicator, approximately 200 years before the birth of Miles Vorkosigan.
Examples of genetically-engineered plants and animals, including humans, included the creations of:
- Quaddies 200 years BMVK
- Betan hermaphrodites 200 years BMVK
- Ba, haut men, and haut women
- Baronne Cordonah's famous living Jewels
- Mental telepathy close to the same time as Miles Vorkosigan was born
- A super-soldier project also close in time to when Miles Vorkosigan was born
- A mermaid dance troup, at about the time Miles Vorkosigan was born
- Cat blankets
- Bizarre items like kitten trees, spherical cats, frogs that sang in chords, and "climbing" roses