A wealthy and technologically advanced planet, Escobar was situated in the Nexus between Sergyar and Beta Colony. The Barrayaran Empire attempted to invade Escobar in Shards of Honor, with disastrous results.
Astrography and ClimateEdit
Escobar was well-connected to the rest of the nexus. Its known wormhole connections included:
- Beta Colony
- Jackson's Whole
- Tau Ceti
- Kline Station (possibly not a direct route)
- Kibou-daini (via a shortish multi-jump route)
Various personal and place names suggest it was founded by a Latin culture.
The government was democratic, generally permitting wide-spread discussion of its politics and featured by a gender-equality.
Mercenary fleets were required to seal their weapons at the Outside jumppoint station and submit proof of having purely commercial intentions before they would be allowed to enter local space. Thus, the Dendarii Mercenaries called themselves the "Dendarii Free Corporation" whenever they were visiting there.
Criminals were treated via imprisonment in at least some cases, though Escobar did have highly-advanced psychotherapists as well. Their system of courts as it faced the Nexus was known as the Cortes Planetaris de Escobar; it issued arrest orders for people who skipped bail by fleeing the planet, such as Enrique Borgos.
Places on EscobarEdit
- The equivalent building to ImpSec was the Investigatif Federale building.
- Port Beauchene
- The Beauchene Life Center was a cryotherapy specialty clinic regularly visited by the Dendarii when they wished to cryorevive their people or to train medtechs in modern techniques.
- The City University of Nuovo Valencia was a university that sent graduate students to Sergyar to study the native flora and fauna
People from EscobarEdit
- Lieutenant Marsha Alfredi
- Doctor Aragones
- Amiri Arqua
- Sylva Boni
- Tersa Boni
- Enrique Borgos
- Elena Bothari-Jesek (emigrated to Escobar)
- Marco Deleo
- The Durona Group (emigrated to Escobar)
- Falco Ferrell
- Parole Officer Oscar Gustioz
- Bazil Jesek (emigrated to Escobar)
- Sergeant Muno
- Joan Sprague
- Elena Visconti
- Irene (no last name given) was a psychotherapist who worked for Joan Sprague.
- Administrator Margara, of the Beauchene Life Center
Behind the scenes Edit
The author has stated that the language of Escobar is "a rather scrambled creole or amalgam of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and a few other things, so it won't be following the rules of any one of them, or only randomly."
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Shards of Honor
- ↑ Ethan of Athos
- ↑ Cryoburn chapter 8
- ↑ The Warrior's Apprentice chapter 5
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Mirror Dance chapter 2
- ↑ Cryoburn chapter 6
- ↑ Mirror Dance chapter 1
- ↑ A Civil Campaign chapter 18
- ↑ Mirror Dance chapter 18
- ↑ Captain Vorpatril's Alliance chapter 15
- ↑ Mirror Dance chapters 2,21
- ↑ Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen chapter 11
- ↑ Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Shards of Honor Aftermath
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 A Civil Campaign