Dorca Vorbarra was an Emperor of Barrayar and Count Vorbarra during and after the Time of Isolation. He ascended to the throne through Salic descent, i.e., through his mother's father's claim on the throne. He was known as the Just for breaking the control of the District Counts and unifying Barrayar under a solid central authority.
Particular details of his ruleEdit
- United Barrayar under a single ruler, broke the power of the Counts; created and enforced Vorloupulous's Law.
- Allowed non-Vor as military officers (ratified Piotr Vorkosigan's innovation, rather)
- His government was described as a Vor-class club.
- Probably had a Privy Council, probably created the Council of Ministers.
- Had embassies to some planets, such as Beta Colony
- His right-hand-man in the civil war/job of breaking up the power of the Counts was Pierre "Le Sanguinaire" Vorrutyer.
- His main criterion for Imperial Auditors was that they should be able to terrify sixty tough District Counts, including Pierre Vorrutyer.
Many books mention Dorca; some of the more useful ones are:
- Shards of Honor chapters 3,6
- Barrayar chapters 6,14,16,18
- The Warrior's Apprentice chapter 6
- Brothers in Arms chapter 9
- A Civil Campaign chapters 7,15
Behind the scenesEdit
There exists some authorial discussion of Dorca, particularly regarding how he took the throne, his family members, and the time of his death. See "Re: Vorbarra family tree", 102584.html, 102544.html, and 064489.html.